Wednesday, February 01, 2012

New Zealand Wrap Up

Where has the time gone? Time to update my blog! So much has happened but I'll start with the last 2 weeks in Auckland! (Day 74-92)

The first few days back from up north were low key and trying to be out in any sun that decided to come out.

Day 75
Amanda took us to a beach in the city we hadnt been to yet, called Takapuna. It's a big beach in a nice part of town that wasn't busy at all for a hot day!

Day 76
We went to Newmarket because Amanda had an appointment so Charlotte and I were dropped off at the shops to look around.

Sometime around here my foot seemed to be getting worse. I must not have rested it enough but I was determined with time it would just get better by itself.

Day 78
Charlotte, Amanda and I spent some time in the morning checking out the Christmas markets on Posonby road. There was carrolers, choirs and sidewalk sales.
It was the day of Coca Cola's Christmas in the Park at Auckland's Domain. We had picked up picnic supplies and enjoyed a night with Amanda and her friends. We put out blankets and all shared a smorgasbord of snacks and drinks. There was TV star presenters, free coke giveaways, Christmas songs and fireworks to finish it off. If only it wasn't cold at home so we could have something like this!

Coca Cola Christmas in the Park

Amanda and I with our festive antlers
Day 80-83: Mom and Dad's to Auckland
Rain! Rain! Rain! It rained the entire time mom and dad were in Auckland!  Unfortunate for them but now they had a taste of my NZ experience.

Day 80
Mom and Dad disembarked from their cruise that went around NZ and Australia. We met at the hotel and did a lot of catching up.

Day 81
My mom saw that I was still limping after 2 weeks of hurting myself so she forced me to go to the doctor. I found out that I did indeed have a fractured bone in my foot and after almost getting put into a cast, I was only wrapped up and given crutches! I guess mothering is what I needed but...it sucked! Haha. After the doctor we went to Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and saw sharks, stingrays and king penguins!

Day 82
Charlotte joined the Dodge trio to go to Waiheke Island for a winery tour. This was a day trip Charlotte and I had been meaning to do but we saved for my parents because we thought they would like it. We went to 3 wineries (Stoneyridge, Wild on Waiheke and Mudbrick Vineyard) and an olive grove. It is a quaint island and there was good company and yummy wine. In the pouring rain that night, we went out to see the lights of Franklin Road in our raincoats and umbrellas. Quite the different experience instead of shivering in a car, driving the streets to look at Christmas lights.

Stoneyridge
The 'singing' house on Franklin Rd
Day 84
Mom and Dad left for cold Canada and I took a taxi back to 41 Wood street. Charlotte and I had been invited to Jen Penman's bach (the word they use instead of cottage) in the Coramandel for the weekend. Simon, Jen, Charlotte and I drove to Whangamata to Simons familys very 60s cottage. When Simons friends arrived we played drinking games till the early hours of the morning. We all went to bed after Charlottes excellent presentation after losing the game and having to drink a horrible mix standing on top of the picnic table in the garden.

Day 85
We had a big breakfast and then the girls went into town to look at the stores. In the afternoon, we all went to the beach where there was a surfing competition going on. Later on the boys had a massive BBQ and we all pigged out on wings, sausages and steaks.

Whangamata beach

Day 86
We left the cottage and were back early to Auckland.

Day 87
I had a doctors appointment and gave back my crutches but still had to continue being careful.
It was Monday so of course it's Monday night dinner! Becca made ham steaks with pineapple and the most delicious thing of all was baked kumara (sweet potato) wrapped in bacon! Mmmmmm bacon :)

Day 88
Charlotte and I laid in the sun at Aotera square, beside Occupy Auckland, before going to see New Years Eve the movie.

Day 91
Last day in New Zealand!!
Mike, Charlotte and I spent the day lounging on the front lawn in the sun. We said our goodbyes or see ya laters to Amanda because she was leaving for Hamilton to spend Christmas with her family. When Becca got home she used her endless energy to bring us to Mission Beach for our last NZ swim and then had organized to go to a Japanese restaurant for dinner. Becca, Mike, Jo, Charlotte and I had yummy sashimi, hot saki and 2 bottles of wine. Off to a good night! We then partied at the Posonby Social Club for a bit but ending the night before 1.

Becca, Michael and I at Mission Beach

Our last swim in NZ with Becca

Micheal, Jo and I at the restaurant

Day 92
While Charlotte was MIA, the rest of us spent the morning at the French markets. I had the best almond croissant ever! We had to get back in time for me to pack and get ready for Australia! Charlotte and I said our goodbyes and waved out the airport shuttle window to Becca and Michael. Bye 41 Wood St! Bye Auckland!! Bye New Zealand!!! As much as I knew I would probably be sad about leaving New Zealand, I was so excited and looking forward to Australia!!!

New Zealand has been such an awesome experience! I'll miss the awesome landscape with sheep and grass and sheep and grass and sheep and....volcanoes, quiet beaches, Frujus, Squiggles and of course the people. Thank you so much to Amanda, Darren, Becca, Michael, Jojo, Emma, Mike, Ayla, and Jen for putting up with us and letting us stay with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment